Kenneth Glyn Jones (November 13, 1915 - July 26, 1995)
Kenneth Glyn Jones was born in New Tredegar, Wales on November 13, 1915.
He got interested in astronomy when being in the Scouts.
He joined the Royal Air Force at Anstey in 1938 and during World War II,
served in the Far East as bomber navigator. In 1946 he joint BOAC and
became a senior Technical Instructor, specializing on astro-navigation
and later aircraft performance. He retired from British Airways in 1974.
In 1944, he married Gwynneth Brown Morgan. She died in 1968.
In 1969 he remarried Brenda.
As an amateur astronomer, Kenneth Glyn Jones worked in instrument making
and in particular, history of astronomy. He played a major role in forming
the Webb Society
in 1967 and became its first president, a post he occupied for 23 years.
He was elected Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society on February 14,
Kenneth Glyn Jones is author of a number of astronomical and historical
articles and books, including
Messier's Nebulae and Star Clusters (1968 and 1991), one
of the most thorough and deepest printed treats of
Charles Messier's work related to the catalog,
The Search for the Nebulae (1975), a history of
deepsky discoveries previously published in a series of nine papers,
and the eight-volume series, The Webb Society Deep-Sky
Observer's Handbook (1975-1990).
Based on a drawing by Charles Messier, he found an uncataloged deepsky
discovery by Messier, namely that of the second companion of the
Andromeda Galaxy (M31): NGC 205, which he assigned the Messier number
M110, in 1966. This is the latest and
perhaps last addition to the
Moreover, he served as editor for the Quarterly Journal of the RAS.
Kenneth Glyn Jones died from heart problems on July 26, 1995 at age 79
in his home in Berkshire.
The astronomical community has honored him by the naming of asteroid
(5861) Glynjones, discovered by E. Bowell at Andersen Mesa on September
15, 1982, and provisionally designated 1982 RW. A prediscovery observation
had been designated 1972 RR2.
- Kenneth Glyn Jones, 1968 and 1991.
Messier's Nebulae and Star Clusters.
First edition, Faber & Faber Ltd, 1968.
Second edition, Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- Kenneth Glyn Jones, 1975.
The Search for the Nebulae. Chalfont St. Giles.
Previously published as a series of papers in the
Journal of the British Astronomical Association:
- The Search for the Nebulae -- I, JBAA, Vol. 78, No. 4 (1968), p. 256-267
- The Search for the Nebulae -- II, JBAA, Vol. 78, No. 5 (1968), p. 360-368
- The Search for the Nebulae -- III, JBAA, Vol. 78, No. 6 (1968), p. 446-454
- The Search for the Nebulae -- IV, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 1 (1968), p. 19-25
- The Search for the Nebulae -- V, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 2 (1969), p. 105-112
- The Search for the Nebulae -- VI, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 3 (1969), p. 213-222
- The Search for the Nebulae -- VII, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 4 (1969), p. 268-275
- The Search for the Nebulae -- VIII, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 5 (1969), p. 357-370
- The Search for the Nebulae -- IX, JBAA, Vol. 79, No. 6 (1969), p. 450-459
- Kenneth Glyn Jones (ed.), 1975-1990.
Webb Society Deep-Sky Observer's
Handbook. Series of 8 volumes. Enslow Publishers, Hillside, NJ and
Aldershot, Hants, UK.
- Orbituary (by R. Argyle) in QJRAS 37 (1996) No. 2, 265.
[The major information source for this webpage]
[History Home] |