Okay, time to lighten up !
YKYITSHW... You Know You're In The Southern Hemisphere When...
- you try to align on Polaris but there's a big
obstruction in the way and your wife says "That's
the planet Earth, dopey!"
- the SCT you bought in America will only work properly
when you glue the tripod legs to the ceiling.
- you try to find the Magellanic galaxies but there are
two little clouds getting in the way.
- you see Sagittarius high overhead when everybody 'knows'
it's supposed to be low in the south west.
- you set your telescope to the celestial pole only to find
that there's nothing there.
- you try to find the Owl Nebula when its on the meridian
but all you see is your shoelaces.
- you like the idea of being 'Down Under' and wonder what
it's like being 'Up Over'.
- your telescope shows the planets the right way up when
all the books say they are supposed to be inverted.
- you think nothing of using Nortons Star Atlas standing
on your head.
- you normally find the South Celestial Pole by drawing a line
through Achernar and Alpha Centauri and dividing by 0.4293!
- you return your new Star Atlas because the printer put in
all the star and constellation names upside down.
- you really can't understand why 47 Toucana and Omega Centauri
aren't on the Messier List.
- you try to find the Great Bear (Ursa Major) but all you see is
a koala in a tree three kilometers away.
- all your friends say "G'day mate. Owyergoin', Orright?" AND you
answer in the same way!
(replace Australian marsupial and slang with local versions!)
- you find Orion doing hand stands.
- you can't believe how clear and dark the skies are.
Collected from the Network News